McPherson Township is a scenic township containing the city of St. Clair, formerly known as Hilton. In 1863, the Winnebago Indians were removed from the land and incoming settlers soon made it their home. The building previously used as the Winnebago Agency was put up for sale, and soon converted to a hotel. After that, it was passed down through families to serve as homes. It continued this trend until 1986 when it was decomposed beyond repair. The owner had it burned, although the plot remains marked today. The door frame from the Winnebago Agency House can be viewed in the History Center Museum.
The rolling beds of wheat and natural growing wild rice attracted many eager settlers to McPherson Township. Many small shops arose including general stores, blacksmith shops, wagon shops, saloons, a hotel, and a mill. After much consideration, Hilton was changed to St. Clair; named for General Arthur St. Clair who fought in the French and Indian Wars.
St. Clair began to spread and thrive which led to the formation of many schools and churches. The churches created were the Congregational church, Immaculate Conception Catholic Church, St. Johns church, and Zion United Methodist church. Many schools were also created, but many ended up consolidating with St. Clair Public School.
The railroad came to St. Clair in 1908, which ran to Duluth, St. Cloud, Glencoe, and Mankato. Because of the different towns, the track was nicknamed the ABC railroad. The town continued to grow over the years and included more public works such as gas lines from Northern States Power and a city refuse system.