HISTORIC R.D. HUBBARD HOUSE
The Historic R.D. Hubbard House is one of the finest examples of French Second Empire architecture in Minnesota. The Historic Hubbard House survives in its original form, having been occupied by only the Hubbard family (1871-1938) and the Blue Earth County Historical Society (1938-present).
R.D. Hubbard was a true captain of industry in southern Minnesota. He not only founded Hubbard Milling Company, one of the largest flour mills in the Minnesota, but also the Mankato Linseed Oil Company and he established a system of 42 grain elevators stretching across southern Minnesota and into South Dakota.
The 16-room historic house museum chronicles the life of R.D. and his family from 1871 to 1905. The home combines rich beauty and “new” innovation. The home featured the first private residence in Mankato to have indoor plumbing, electricity and a telephone connecting the home to Hubbard Milling Company.
The adjoining 1890 Carriage House contains a collection of horse-drawn vehicles and antique automobiles. Elegant Victorian gardens landscape the two buildings. The House is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is a Mankato Heritage Preservation Landmark.
Hubbard House is also host to a variety of engaging living history events including Victorian Lawn Party, Old-Fashioned Medicine Show and Christmas at Hubbard House. The Historic Hubbard House is open seasonally Mary through September and weekends in December
For more information on the Hubbard Family, purchase Meet the Hubbards by Beth Zimmer from our online store.
The Hubbard House is closed for the season. Check back for special
December Hours for Christmas at the Hubbard House.