The Development Manager is a non-exempt position with the Blue Earth County Historical Society (BECHS) reporting to the Executive Director. This is a new position that will work both independently and collaboratively with the Executive Director, staff, Board of Trustees, and volunteers to achieve organizational goals. The Development Manager will plan, build, implement, and manage BECHS’s development and fundraising function, including sponsorships, an annual fund campaign, and a comprehensive giving program for individual and corporate gifts. Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
Development & Planning:
• Spearhead visioning and planning of BECHS development goals and strategies
• Develop a plan for building and running a comprehensive annual fund campaign, including creating timelines, measurable outcomes, and outreach materials
• Create a plan for establishing a major gifts program with the help of the Executive Director
• Refine and clarify BECHS messaging around requests for philanthropic support
• Manage a portfolio of current donors and members, and build and strengthen relationships, focused on retention and giving
• Accompany and assist the Executive Director with individual donor solicitations and stewardship, as appropriate
• Alongside the Executive Director, lead year-end appeal and special campaign efforts
Sponsorships & Business Partners:
• Nurture existing community business partnerships, and build new relationships, aimed at sponsorship and promotional opportunities
• With the Executive Director, create sponsor packets as well as develop and execute a plan for marketing sponsorships and identifying target sponsors
• Solicit and secure the target amount of sponsorships for BECHS annual signature event and other special events and programs
• Serve as an articulate, enthusiastic, and visible external spokesperson, passionately sharing BECHS’s mission, stories, and needs
• Co-Chair the Development Committee, providing leadership and oversight
• Periodically attend BECHS Board of Trustee meetings to provide progress updates on fundraising and development activities
• With the Executive Director and Committee Chairs, plan and execute fundraising strategies for annual signature event and other special fundraising events
• Serve on the Special Events Committee to offer guidance and coordination Additional Responsibilities:
• Implement an annual fund campaign and major gifts program
• In the next two years, develop a capital campaign plan for BECHS and begin building a planned giving program
• Assist BECHS in increasing its overall unrestricted donations and event sponsorships
• In collaboration with marketing and communications colleagues, raise community awareness for BECHS, based on the organizational identity and strategic plan
• Three years of successful and relevant nonprofit experience, including at least one year in a development role. Fundraising experience in Blue Earth County preferred, but not required.
• Knowledge of current nonprofit fundraising techniques and trends.
• Computer skills, including knowledge of Microsoft Office software required; Bloomerang preferred.
• Excellent oral, interpersonal, organizational, and written communications skills required with the ability to work effectively and professionally with staff, volunteers, patrons, community partners, and other historical organizations.
• Self-motivated with the ability to work independently and with a variety of personalities.
The hours per week and schedule for this position are negotiable. Wages range between $16-$18/hour based on experience. Position open until filled as position is available immediately.
Interested candidates should send cover letter and resumes to:
Blue Earth County Historical Society
424 Warren Street
Mankato, MN 56001