You are invited to share your favorite water moments that highlight the importance of area rivers and lakes in southern Minnesota to your quality of life. You can submit a photograph, video, drawing, painting, poster, or other creative outlets of your choice.
- What’s your favorite memory on the water?
- What is your favorite lake or river in southern Minnesota and why?
- How do you like spending time in or near area lakes and rivers?
- What is your connection to water and what do area rivers and lakes mean to you?
- Open to students currently in grades K-12 or college
- One artwork per entry, up to three entries per student
- Artwork must be an original artistic product or performance created by the student
- Artwork must reflect the contest water theme
- Entry must be submitted using Instagram and the instructions below
- DEADLINE to enter: March 5, 2020
- Entries will be judged by a panel of regional artists, community partners, and conservation partners working to celebrate and clean up area rivers and lakes
- Judges will review Instagram posts tagged with ##lovewatermn
- Scores will be based on originality, creativity, and theme focused criteria
- Age Categories for Awards: Kindergarten – 2nd grade; 3rd grade-5th grade; 6th grade-8th grade; 9th grade-12th grade; college
- Top Award winners in each age category will receive an award certificate, gift card, and a copy of the book For Love of a River: the Minnesota
- Be sure to follow @BECHShistory on Instagram so you’re the first to know when awards are announced!
HOW TO ENTER THE CONTEST
- K-12 Students: Before posting on Instagram, talk to your parent about the contest and make sure you have their permission to participate.
- Prepare a digital image OR video (<60 sec) that clearly shows the artwork or performance. Maximum of 3 submissions per student.
- On Instagram, create a public post with your photo(s) or video.
- The caption of your post is your Contest Entry Form. It must include the following information:
- Student’s Name (or initials)
- Grade or College Name
- Title of Art (optional)
- Art media used
- A sentence describing how the art reflects the contest theme (see above)
By submitting your Artwork, you agree that your submission will be shared on social media, and may be showcased for future use in newsletters, publications, posters, and websites.
Contest winners will be contacted by Blue Earth County Historical Society @BECHShistory through the Instagram account that posted their entry. Prizes will be mailed to winning students.
This exhibit and award program is co-hosted by Blue Earth County Historical Society, Water Resources Center at Minnesota State University, Mankato, the Le Sueur River Watershed Network, and the City of Mankato. The challenge is supported by a broad network of partners working to raise awareness about the rivers and lakes in our region.