Excerpt from The Heritage of Blue Earth County by Julie Schrader, Topic 46, available in the Research & Genealogy Center.
“In 1887 the brick veneer was finally laid and the steeple and gallery were also built that year. In 1889, when the building was insured against fire, the value of the church was rated at $1,500. With the completion of the addition to the church such as the altar and altar ring, (made by Halvor S. Halvorson, who also made the first baptismal font), the church was dedicated November 10, 1889. Ten years later, Lake Hanska left the four-point parish, followed by Madelia and Butternut, severing their connection with Linden in 1906.
“In 1921, Butternut became a parish with Lake Crystal, Jackson Lake and Rapidan. Work continued on the church building, including the basement, being added in 1937. Lake Crystal and Our Saviour’s became a two-point parish in 1945. In 1952, the church was enlarged and a water system was installed which called for a complete remodel of the church. At this time an electric organ was also installed.
“On the night of October 30, 1955, fire completely destroyed the structure that had served the congregation since 1882. Plans were begun immediately for the construction of a new church to be built across the road from the former structure, which had stood in the cemetery. The building site of 3.3 acres was donated by Mr. and Mrs. Carl Marsteen. Services were held in Butternut Town Hall until the new church was ready for occupancy. Ground breaking was May 27, 1956 and June 30, 1957, the first service and also confirmation day was held. Dedication of the new church was held September 29, 1957.”