The author describes the foundation and building of various denominations of churches by various immigrant groups in Blue Earth County from the 1850s, including Catholic, Lutheran, Methodist, and Calvinist congregations. Also includes a summary of the parish Heritage Center at SS Peter and Paul’s Church by Father Ted Hottinger.
Use your browsers "find" option to search within this page. Copies of the newsletter are available for viewing at the Historical Society or you can order a copy by contacting the Research Center
Issue Date: Winter 2010
Issue Date: Spring 2010
Introduction to using the resources of the BECHS to research various topics, including family history, buildings, and events. Researching the history of the Old Towner Building is used as an example.
Issue Date: Summer 2010
The author explores the story of Isabelle Matilda Anderson, or Belle Born, of South Bend, Minnesota and her connection to bootlegging and the gangsters of the 1930s, including the Barker-Karpis gang and the kidnapping of William Hamm in 1933. Reproduces several Free Press article describing her trial for aiding the criminals.
Issue Date: Fall 2010
A summary of the historical background of Sibley Park, from its beginnings as a tradiging post, it suse after the U.S. Dakota War, its transition to a fairground, zoo, and park and its current state.
Issue Date: Winter 2011
A summary of the local family history of Minnesota Legislature House Speaker Margaret Anderson Kelliher in Blue Earth County.
Issue Date: Spring 2011
The author describes the role of the 2nd Regiment, which recruited from Blue Earth Country, in the Civil War, including the battle of Chickamauga, for which they were awarded congressional medals of honor. Also describes the personal lives of a number of soldiers of Company H.
Issue Date: Summer 2011
A personal genealogical background of Oldenburg, specifically telling the stories of his great-great grandparents Gustav and Antoinette Brackelsburg, and their experience in the U.S. Dakota and Civil Wars.
Issue Date: Fall 2011
The author summarizes the history of the monuments and markers of Blue Earth County, both lost and surviving. Describes Civil War monuments, the “Indian Monument” commemorating the execution of Dakota men after the U.S. Dakota War, and WWI and WWII monuments. It also includes a discussion of landmarks commemorating pioneer and milling history.
Issue Date: Winter 2012
A short history of the foundation of the Grand Army of the Republic (GAR) in the years after the Civil War, with emphasis on the activity of its Minnesota and Blue Earth County posts. Also includes a summary of the personal lives of some prominent local members, including a great-grandfather of Grundmeier.
Issue Date: Spring 2012
A history and background of the United States census and guide to using them to aid with genealogical research.
Issue Date: Summer 2012
Describes the historical background of Mankato’s Front Street and some of the businesses that operated along the street between the 1860s and the 1970s, including department stores.
Issue Date: Fall 2012
An account of researching the life of Maria Rablin, the first Euro-American woman to settle in Blue Earth County, becoming a farmer and whiskey distiller.
Issue Date: Winter 2013
Summarizes Abraham Lincoln’s decision making and involvement in the US-Dakota War of 1862, including telegraph messages to Minnesota, ending with the trial and execution of 38 Dakota.
Issue Date: Spring 2013
Summarizes the background of the Blue Earth County Historical Society photography chosen from the Minnesota Digital Library (MDL) to show the state’s involvement with Digital Public Library of America (DPLA), Dr. G.A. Dahl, Keene Studios, and early photography as well as the background of MDL and DPLA.
Issue Date: Summer 2013
Describes the origins of the location names in Blue Earth County, including four categories; translations/words from Native Americans, names of people, names of locations, and the natural world.
Issue Date: Fall 2013
Describes the naming patterns of Blue Earth County streets, including four primary themes; people, places, nature, and Native American words. Specifically focuses on brief biographies of several historical figures who were the namesake of several streets in Lake Crystal, Mankato, Mapleton, and Vernon Center.
Issue Date: Winter 2014
The history of the Slough on the west edge of Mankato has a colorful history. It starts in 1873 and James Tinkcom purchasing the land and building several small houses to sell or rent out. In the 1890s, several Lebanese families immigrated to Mankato and moved into the houses, nicknamed Tinkcomville.
In 1908, some land in the area was purchased and an orphanage built. It closed about a decade later and the building was abandoned. In 1924, a civic project was started on the site. The project included a park and golf course. However, the area flooded was too wet for golf. By 1943, the golf course was abandoned. Eight years later, Mankato West High School was built on the land.
Through the 1970s, some of the wooded area was improved to include nature paths. A new road was also built through the area and named after George Stolzman, the first soldier from Blue Earth County to be killed in the Vietnam conflict. In 1988, a memorial was built on the west side of Stolzman to honor all of the twenty-nine area soldiers killed in that conflict.
Issue Date: Spring 2014
In 1862, Louis Seppman began the construction of a mill on his land. Due to the U.S.-Dakota war, the construction took two years and the mill opened in 1864. All but two pieces of the mill, ordered from St. Louis, were hand mad by Seppmann himself. Seppman ran into several problems in operating the mill including a lack of wind and he was not a miller by trade. He sold the mill to his father in law, Martin Miller, who also had problems to include lightening hitting the mill and wind blowing blades away. Miller ended up closing the mill due to the progress and completion of the Hubbard mill.
The mill sat unused for decades until it was donated to the Blue Earth County Historical Society in 1929. BECHS partially restored the mill, but in 1931 it was deeded to the State of Minnesota. The state restored the mill and even opened a highway rest stop near it in 1955. The rest stop was taken out in 1972 when the Minneopa State Park was expanded. The state replaces the floors, doors, windows, and the roof on several occasions. In 1989, the state closed in permanently due to a crack in the outside wall and other unsafe conditions.
Issue Date: Summer 2014
This article focuses on the history of fire departments, weather observers, and fallout shelters throughout Blue Earth County. Many fire departments were started as a reaction to a large fire in the community. The Mankato Fire Department started in 1860 and in 1894, a Gamewell Fire Alarm System was installed and they added a chemical tank. In 1914 and 1916, Mankato added its first two motorized vehicles and customized them to fight fires. Since then, major advances have been made in firefighting technology and the Mankato Fire Department has kept up each step of the way.
For over 100 years, local weather observers have been predicting the weather. John Pihale officially became a weather observer in 1920, something he had been doing as a hobby since 1902. Each day he would record the temperatures, weather patterns and moisture. Pihale would receive calls from local people each day, wanting him to predict the weather. He answered about 150 calls per day into the 1950s. In 1961, Warren Heisler became the official weather observer in Mankato and held that position until 1984. He added measuring river water levels to this position. Although he didn’t get paid, Heisler did receive some compensation from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and the Mankato Free Press for his efforts.
Throughout the Cold War era, fallout shelters were encouraged by leaders. They were to be fully stocked with food and water for two weeks in case of a nuclear war. They were mainly located in schools and other government buildings and by 1967, Blue Earth County had 11,213 licensed fallout shelters, more than any in the area. By 1980, most of these shelters were emptied of their supplies. After 1989, when the Cold War ended, the shelters were all but abandoned. Many were demolished or remodeled and used as recreation centers.
Issue Date: Fall 2014
This article traces how several Federal programs had an impact on Blue Earth County. The Federal Emergency Relief Administration and the Works Progress Administration put many area people to work from 1933-1943. Men built roads, bridges, made improvements to local parks and the school in Lake Crystal. Women were put to work sewing and organized the PTA. The PTA also program began serving hot lunches at school.
The National Youth Association employed men and women from 18-25 years old. It also provided recreation opportunities to include kittenball, ice skating, and one act plays. Other federal programs helped start local co-ops that brought electricity to rural areas. The National Recovery Administration helped to stabilize the economy and encouraged fair competition, set a minimum wage, supported unions, and prohibited child labor. These programs had mixed success throughout the county.
Issue Date: Winter 2015
This article looks at the women in Blue Earth County during World War II. The article starts with women who joined the Army through the WACS, WAVES and WAAC to the Red Cross and going to work in factories.